Child Visa

Child visa is for a natural, adopted or stepchild to live with their parent/s in Australia. The visa application must be sponsored by a parent who must be an Australian citizen, holder of a permanent visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Children born outside Australia to parents who are not Australian citizens do not automatically acquire Australian citizenship. Therefore, children born outside Australia to permanent resident parent/s need to apply for child visa.


If you are seeking assistance in this visa category, Discuss your Case with us today.

Child Visa Categories

There are three broad categories of child visas:

  1. A child visa for a dependent child of an Australian sponsor
  2. An adoption visa for a child adopted outside Australia by an Australian sponsor
  3. An orphan relative visa for a child who is under 18 years of age at the time of application and who cannot be cared for by either parent


Orphan Relative Category (Subclass 117, 837)

For children or stepchildren overseas under 18 years of age who have a parent who is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to care for them.


Adoption Category (Subclass 102)

For children under 18 years of age who have been adopted or are in the process of being adopted by their sponsor.

The adoption must be supported by a state or territory adoption authority unless the adoptive parent has been resident overseas for a period of at least 12 months at the time of the migration application, and they can demonstrate their residence overseas was not contrived to deliberately bypass the requirements concerning entry of adopted children.


Dependent Child (Temporary) (Subclass 445)

For children whose parent holds a temporary partner visa and is in the process of obtaining a permanent partner visa, to travel to or remain in Australia for the same period as their parent. Once this visa has been granted, the child can apply to be added to their parent’s Permanent Partner Visa application.


Child (Permanent) visa (Subclass 101)

Subclass 101 Visa is for offshore children from overseas when the application is made.


Child (Permanent) visa (Subclass 802)

Subclass 802 Visa is for onshore children from overseas when the application is made.

Different visas allow applications to be made while child is either onshore or offshore. We can assist you in choosing suitable visa for your situation, Contact us


To successfully apply for a child visa, the child:

  • Must be single
  • Must be younger than 18 years old, or a full-time student aged 18 to 25, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability
  • Financially dependent on their parent
  • Meet health and character requirement

Please note that visa specific criteria will also apply depending upon the option chosen.

Visa Immigration Agent